Monday, November 19, 2012

To be a macromolecule...Which one is the question

Salutations!

In AP biology class, we have been discussing macromolecules. In this blog entry I was asked to choose which macromolecule I would like to be. Out of the four choices I was presented with, I chose to be a carbohydrate!

Carbohydrates are one type of macromolecule. They are composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. They provide fast energy, energy storage, raw materials, and structural materials. The monomers in carbs are sugars and the main sugar that is most commonly present is glucose. Energy is stored in the carbon-carbon bonds and are harvested in cell respiration. There are simple and complex sugars. Monosaccharides are simple one monomer sugars. Disaccharides are two monomers of sugar bonded together. Polysaccharides are large polymers that are bonded together. These take little energy to build and are easily reversible. When reversed they release energy.

Now, for me this choice makes sense for various reasons. One being how involved I am in so many different areas of my life that I need energy to keep up with my rigorous lifestyle. I am involved in various clubs and bands and my job is fairly active so I need to always have a good supply of energy to keep me sustained. Eating foods that are rich in carbohydrates helps to give me that extra boost, for obvious reasons as I'm sure you can see! Carbohydrates are a very important part of my daily eating habits.

Go, Carbs, Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment